Tanqueray gin began in 1830 by Charles Tanqueray in the Bloomsbury district of London. ]When Charles died in 1868, his son Charles Waugh Tanqueray inherited the distillery, which continued to operate until it was severely damaged during World War II. It has since been moved to Cameron Bridge, Scotland.
Tanqueray's flagship product is its London Dry Gin. London Dry Gin is made by double distilling grain, with select botanicals added during the second distillation. While the Tanqueray recipe is a guarded secret, it is known to contain four botanicals: juniper, coriander, angelica root and liquorice.