Highland Park is Scotland’s northernmost whisky distillery on the southern edge of Kirkwall, where it has survived for over 220 years. This distillery was founded in 1798, by David Robertson on what was once the site of Magnus Eunson's cottage. Eunson was a church officer and butcher by day, and whiskey smuggler by night. Highland Park was officially licensed in 1826. Production at Highland Park was slowed after James Borwick inherited the distillery in 1869. James was a priest and believed that whisky production contradicted with his religious status. In 1876, Stuart and Mackay moved in and dramatically helped sales through overseas exportation.
In 1895, James Grant of Glenlivet fame acquired the Highland Park distillery. He installed further stills, bringing the total to four. To this day, Highland Park is one of the few Scotch whisky distilleries to still operate onsite floor maltings. £18 million was spent relaunching the brand; the range was repackaged and remarketed and the buildings were extensively renovated. Highland Park’s future is bright having recently overtaken Islay giant Lagavulin in terms of sales.