Mount Gay Rum is named after Sir John Gay Alleyne, 1st Baronet of Four Hills. Sir John Gay Alleyne earned such a widely respected reputation that the company was renamed in his honour after his death in 1801. The company was later renamed Mount Gay Distilleries, incorporating the beloved Sir John Gay Alleyne's middle name.
Mount Gay Rum is made from molasses and water that has been filtered through natural coral. This mix is fermented using an exclusively selected yeast and then distilled in both copper pot stills and column stills, before being aged in oak barrels.
Mount Gay Distilleries has released several limited edition rums over the course of their history to honour their nautical heritage or commemorate important occasions in the history of Barbados.